In short, the merger we told you about earlier between Alltel and Verizon is now official. This merger gives Verizon the lead to toot their own horn as the largest nationwide carrier. I imagine their tagline will now be “The largest & most reliable nationwide network.”
For some details:
- Verizon will keep the Alltel brand for a few months as it integrates
- It will maintain Alltels GSM networks where they exist
- Alltel customers will get a letter in their next few weeks telling them how they will be integrated
- Customers have nothing to do right now and your prices and features will remain the same through the transition including your My Circle.
- Verizon will slowly rebrand Alltel stores through 2009 and Alltel stores will remain open during this time
- All Alltel employees below executive level will continue their jobs at Verizon during the transition
Note: Due to the conditions of the agreement Verizon had to sell off quite a bit of Alltels holdings. You can see a detailed list of the areas effected by this in their press release.