When I first got an email from OtterBox that they just released a case for the 8700 I did a double take. They don’t even have a case for the Storm yet and they are going back and creating one for the 8700? It didn’t make any sense.
Turns out I was wrong. After speaking to the good guys at OtterBox I learned a few things about the 8700. The 8700 is still used by quite a few companies. Law enforcement, military, and quite a few international customers have created such a demand that OtterBox went back and created a case for a device that was released years ago. They already have several orders from their distributors and expect the case to be a huge success.
Pretty impressive though it is kind of disheartening that people are still being issued 8700’s. On the other hand the 8700 was the last drop proof BlackBerry that I used. My 8800, Curve, & Bold all get paint chipped off them when you drop them. I used to drop my 8700 once a week and it barely showed.
So I have to ask. Who is still sporting a 8700? Sound off in the comments.
Below are a few pictures of the 8700 OtterBox:
About the case:
With three innovative layers,* this case provides an ideal solution for demanding lifestyles:
- Layer 1:
- Case includes two thermal formed PVC membranes, one fits the BlackBerry 8700 smartphone and one fits the BlackBerry 8700e smartphone, to protect keypad from dust and dirt (layer optional).
- Built-in PC windows protect the screen and camera from scratches and dust intrusion
- Layer 2: Hi-impact polycarbonate shell
- Layer 3: Silicone skin absorbs bump and shock
The OtterBox for the BlackBerry 8700 series smartphones provides access to sync/charge jack through a silicone plug. A recessed, contoured opening provides scroll wheel access. Sound clearly transmits through acoustic vents on speakerphone and headset speaker. An included holster style swivel belt clip adds convenience.
- Drop and Shock: Protection against drop, bump & shock
- Water Protection: Not tested or recommended for water protection
- Dust Intrusion: Dust does not enter in a sufficient quantity to interfere with satisfactory operation of equipment
- Layer 2: yellow or black
- Layer 3: black
- Belt clip: black
Dimensions (case only): 3.05” X 1.12” X 4.59″
Approximate Weight (case only, including layer 1): 3.0 oz (85.06 grams)