Looks like the Web Upgrade for OS 4.5 we mentioned before is limited by your PIN # and its association with your carrier. If your carrier does not officially support OS 4.5 then this is useless. In essence this Web Based option just helps people to upgrade their OS officially. Talk about a letdown…
In RIM’s own words:
The Application Loader tool lists available BlackBerry Device Software upgrades that are approved by the BlackBerry smartphone user’s wireless service provider.
You can check it OS 4.5 is available base on your PIN # at this link:
RIM has also posted the following three knowledgebase articles about the Web Based Upgrade:
- Web-based BlackBerry Device Software upgrades
- Restrictions on the use of web-based BlackBerry Device Software upgrades
- Web-based BlackBerry Device Software system requirements
RIM September is almost over… Why can’t you release 4.5 already?
Details from the first knowledgebase article below:
BlackBerry smartphone users can upgrade the BlackBerry Device Software on their BlackBerry smartphones by using the Application Loader tool available at www.blackberry.com/upgrades. This upgrade process does not require the use of the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager. The Application Loader tool lists available BlackBerry Device Software upgrades that are approved by the BlackBerry smartphone user’s wireless service provider.
Web-based BlackBerry Device Software upgrades allows BlackBerry smartphone users to perform the following tasks:
- Upgrade the BlackBerry Device Software on their BlackBerry smartphones
- Add or remove applications and support for languages
- Back up and restore BlackBerry smartphone data
- Switch from one BlackBerry smartphone to another BlackBerry smartphone
- Turn notifications about available BlackBerry Device Software upgrades on and off
To perform a web-based BlackBerry Device Software upgrade, the following system requirements must be met:
- BlackBerry smartphone must have at least 32 MB of flash memory
- Computer must be running Windows® 2000 or later
- Computer must have an available USB port
- Computer must be running Windows® Internet Explorer® 6 or 7
Note: BlackBerry smartphones that are associated with a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, with BlackBerry® Professional Software, or with BlackBerry® Unite!™ software cannot perform web-based BlackBerry Device Software upgrades.