Now this tip is nothing really new but for some reason when Andree sent it in over two weeks ago it got lost in my complex Google Apps filters. (My bad) Many of you may already know this but you can easily bypass the restriction in Documents to Go that comes with OS 4.5 which does not let you create a new file. They want you to pay ($69) for that feature. Personally I think they should have gone for a lower price point or a more tiered price structure. For example, $15-$20 for premium Word-to-Go would maybe be more reasonable.
An oversight of theirs is that you can follow these simple instructions and bypass this limitation. Below you will see the instructions Andree sent in:
- On a pc, create a file containing one character then save accordingly (*.doc *.ppt or *.xls).
- Note: If you are using Office 2007 make sure to save the file in Office compatibility format by clicking File->save as and selecting “Word 97-2003 format”
- For a PowerPoint file there is a limitation where the standard edition does not let you add new slides. You will need to create the blank file with as many empty slides as you think you may need.
- Send it to your blackberry handheld through email as an attachment
- On your blackberry handheld, save the attachment to your memory card
- Whenever needed, go to media-explore-documents. open the file then
edit the content by deleting the one character previously saved.
- Voila, you have the somewhat ‘create new file’ feature
As an FYI the standard OS 4.5 version does not have the Excel application called Sheets-to-Go installed by default. You need to open either Word-to-Go or Slides-to-Go and click “Check for updates” in the menu. Then follow the instructions and registration to get Sheets-to-Go.
Also via Al @ CIO.com