We told you about the new website for the BlackBerry Partners Fund and mentioned the new BlackBerry Developers Challenge. It has taken RIM quite awhile to get with the program and I am glad somebody has finally done it for them.
My favorite part of the whole announcement was this little disclaimer on the bottom right next to the HUGE RIM logo.
The BlackBerry Partners Fund™ Developers Challenge is being offered and operated exclusively by The BlackBerry Partners Fund LP and is not affiliated with, operated by, nor has it been authorized, endorsed or otherwise approved by Research In Motion Limited.
I am curious as to how exactly the challenge is not affiliated with RIM? They are one of the judges, they are an investor in the fund, and they are announcing the winners at a RIM conference… Got to love CYA.
I won’t copy and paste the whole description here but I will give you the highlights.
- Five categories with 3 winners in each for a total of 15 winners. Categories are:
- Most Innovative Game
- Most Innovative Multimedia Application
- Most Innovative Personal Productivity and Lifestyle Application
- Most Innovative Enterprise Application
- Most Innovative Web Application
- Sadly the contest is limited to certain geographical areas as Neil has been quick to point out. The full terms can be found at this link.
- The Challenge is open to individuals who are resident, or businesses with an office, located in North America (excluding the province of Quebec) and Europe. (This sadly excludes our friend Neil who is out in Australia)
- The contest is vague about what exactly you win but their description is:
- There will be a number of prizes announced shortly including, RIM devices, cash, company spotlights, and more.
All finalists will receive: Free registration for Developer Conference, and free devices.
- Contest officially begins on August 19th, 2008 but they are already accepting applications. All applications must be submitted by September 30th. Three finalists will be selected for each category, and finalists notified October 1, 2008. Finalists will be provided with free hotel/registration to Developer Conference. Winners of competitions will be announced at the BlackBerry Developer Conference during the evening event.
- Some great judges are covering the event including RIM and our friends at BlackBerryCool & Bplay!