Josep just sent me a link to a cool new tool for SQL DBAs. Idera has just release a cool new tool for mobile DBA’s offering them some peace of mind. I know quite a few DBAs that have to constantly carry around a laptop to monitor their SQL databases. This new commercial application from Idera hopes to ease their mind a little by offering the ability to manage SQL, view metrics, and take action on them from your BlackBerry.
The cost for Idera Mobile SQL Manager is quite high out of the regular consumers reach at $795 but in most cases such software is paid for by your company. The tool is available for download at this link. Idera seems to be a little confused about what devices the software is compatible with. In their press release they mention that it is compatible with the 8700 and 7200 series devices. On their website they say it works with any OS 4.1 or 4.2 devices. To top it all in the product page they have an image of the software running on a BlackBerry 8800.
From their website:
- Manage SQL Servers from a mobile device
- See real-time performance metrics
- Create custom alerts
- Take action to quickly fix issues
SQL mobile manager is a portable monitoring and administration tool for Microsoft SQL Server. It enables database administrators to securely manage their SQL Server environments from a remote location using a Windows Mobile or a BlackBerry mobile device. Easy-to-install and use, SQL mobile manager combines real-time monitoring and instant alerting with powerful diagnostics and remediation capabilities enabling database administrators to assure the performance and availability of their SQL Servers 24 X 7 no matter where they are.
- Reduces downtime SQL mobile manager instantly notifies you of problems with your SQL Server infrastructure. Powerful diagnostic and management functions enable rapid responses and remediation dramatically reducing down time for your SQL Server infrastructure.
- Reduce support costs Rapid responses to individual incidents reduces the time spent on support activities. The ability to proactively manage your SQL Server infrastructure from remote locations reduces the requirement for on-site visits.
- Peace of Mind SQL mobile manager provides anytime, anywhere access to instant information about your SQL Server environment. Anytime you want to actively check the status for a SQL Server, say during periods of heavy load, or when critical jobs are running, the information is immediately at your fingertips.