Josep just found a new version of Google Maps that is available for BlackBerry devices. The new version can be downloaded either by going to Google’s mobile site or by using Google’s new Updater application that we mentioned before.
I have just installed it on my BlackBerry 8310 and here are my first impressions. This is very useful since Google follows in RIM’s steps by offering no changelog.
- New look to all of the pop-up boxes. They are much smaller than previous versions and do not block as much of the map.
- You can now edit your previously used locations. This is very useful if you misspelled a location previously or got the number wrong
- When you are getting directions there is now a directions list option. To use this you hit the # button and it will show you the directions in a step by step list which is quite nice
- The shortcuts to jump forward and backwards through the directions have been changed from the original 1&3 to a new 4&6
- The font is smaller throughout the application. This can be good and bad
- Favorites are still lost when you upgrade
- There seems to be much more caching going on so when you move around the map it is not reloading all the time
- It now seems to remember your previous GPS location and refreshes you GPS location much faster!!!