Ernie Oporto let me know that many users were having problems upgrading from the older Yahoo Messenger 1.0 to the new 2.0 version. I stumbled by a new knowledgebase article on RIMâ€™s website that explains how to fix the issue and get your messenger back working. It seems that if you upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0 without uninstalling the 1.0 version you will not see the messenger icon in your homescreen. If you follow the directions at this link or listed below you will be able to get the icon back on your homescreen. i am surprised RIM did not catch this when testing the new version out.
If you have not attempted to upgrade to Yahoo! Messenger for BlackBerry smartphones version 2.0, delete version 1.0 from the BlackBerry Applications list before installing version 2.0. For instructions on how to remove applications on the BlackBerry smartphone, see KB10040.
If you have attempted to upgrade to Yahoo! Messenger for BlackBerry smartphones version 2.0, complete the following steps:
- From the Home screen on the BlackBerry smartphone, click Option > Applications.
- Display the menu and click Modules.
- Highlight net_rim_yahoo_messenger.
- Display the menu and click Delete.
- Install Yahoo! Messenger for BlackBerry smartphones version 2.0 on your BlackBerry smartphone.